- Nigeria raise import tariffs on Luxury goods and some consumables:
The Federal Government of Nigeria has announced the increase in import duties of luxury goods like Sports Utility Vehicles, boats, sports cars, and other vessels used for pleasure, as well as consumables that are produced locally, like rice, salt and sugarcane. Importers will now pay 70% of the total value of these goods as tax. The increase which was contained in a circular by the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun to the NCS, showed that tax changes for sugar cane and salt from 10 per cent to 70 per cent; alcoholic spirit, beverages and tobacco from 20 per cent to 60 per cent; and rice from 10 per cent to 60 per cent; packaged cement, from 10 per cent to 50 per cent; cotton/ fabrics materials, from 35 per cent to 45 per cent; and used cars from 10 per cent to 35 per cent.
However, essential industrial sector accessories, including bolt, industrial oil and other equipment are to enjoy a downward review to spur local industrialization.
- Boko Haram leader appears in new video:Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau has appeared in a new video to debunk Nigeria’s government claims that the group has been crushed and flushed out of its Sambisa forest stronghold.“We are safe. We have not been flushed out of anywhere. And tactics and strategies cannot reveal our location except if Allah wills by his decree,” Shekau said in the 25-minute video, flanked by armed fighters.“You should not be telling lies to the people,” he said, referring to Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari who said on Christmas Eve that the extremist group had been defeated and driven away from the forest, its last known bastion.“If you indeed crushed us, how can you see me like this? How many times have you killed us in your bogus death?” he asked.
- Obama thanks Buhari for Nigeria’s role in foiling Terrorist attack on the US:
President Barack Obama has written to President Muhammadu Buhari, to thank Nigeria for its role in providing information that led to the foiling of a planned terrorist attack on the United States of America (USA). Obama also commended the Department of State Services (DSS) which provided the intelligence information. The DSS disclosed to a few selected media houses yesterday that a few months back, the service got information about a group planning to carry out a terror attack on US soil.It said the information was shared with relevant US agencies who collaborated with the service to forestall the attack.
- Pink announces Son’s arrival via Instagram: American singer, songwriter, dancer, and actress, Alecia Beth Moore (PINK), introduced her son to the world in an adorable Instagram posting. Congratulations to Pink and Carey Hart! The couple welcomed their second child, a baby boy named Jameson Moon Hart, on Monday, Dec. 26. The singer and retired motocross racer also have a daughter together, Willow Sage, who is 5. Pink shared sweet photos of her baby on social media
- PARALLEL MARKET FOREX UPDATE: Naira exchange at 485 per Dollar; 580 per Pound Sterlings; and 495 per Euro.